Wednesday 19 October 2011

Building a meditation hut

The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids suggest building a meditation hut. The actual process of building the hut could be a mindful and meditative process, using recycled and sustainable materials. The Order’s founder, Ross Nichols, got the idea of his hut from the poem The Lake Isle of Innisfree by William Butler Yeats.
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.
Yeats was inspired to write the poem by Henry David Thoreau’s account of how he retired to a hut beside Walden Pond, there to contemplate the wilderness, be self-sufficient and find himself.

Ross Nichols suggests that one of the benefits of living in a hut is that there are fewer distractions there; no electricity, no running water, only yourself and the wilderness (or your garden) for company. It was important to Nichols that the hut should be a semi-permanent structure, so it felt safe and secluded.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely spot-on. I love this poem. It resonates with me as I have been working for years to create a range of luxury circular micro-buildings which are designed to promote health and wellbeing & connect us once more with our ancient past, and to feel at one with the earth. My instincts tell me that a round building with a dome to the heavens can promote positive energy and the form of the building wraps around you as you spend time in this beautiful, restful space which is so unlike the rectilinear rooms one finds in a traditional house. I have taken advice from both Feng Shui experts and Meditation retreats who echo the positives and I am hopeful that we can continue to provide the benefits of a secluded 'pod' in which to retreat to and enjoy... (away from the rest of the world - if only for an hour or so...!!) if you haven't yet built a meditation hut but would like us to build one of our "Rotundas" for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch! (Gemma)
    Rotunda Living Ltd (www.Rotunda-Living.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete